Chipped Teeth An Overview
A chipped tooth may seem like a minor cosmetic dental concern, but left untreated could escalate into more advanced dental problems. Chipped teeth are more susceptible to infection, breakage, or even tooth loss.
The enamel that covers your teeth is the hardest, most mineralized tissue in the body, but it does have limits. If you have a broken tooth or chipped a tooth, Plano TX dentist Dr. Mark Sowell can repair or replace it.
"I have received thorough and professional treatment and customer service for over 20 years from Dr. Sowell and his staff! I totally trust Dr. Sowell and his staff to take care of my teeth and gums. They are always extremely…Joe G.
"It's always a pleasure to visit with the staff. Very easy to discuss dental issues and making recommendations too for any additional treatments.."Anonymous
"I have referred others and will continue to do so."Robin B.
Chipped Teeth What to Expect
Our Plano dentist office offers a wide variety of cosmetic and restorative dental procedures to repair a chipped tooth. Each situation is unique depending on esthetic concerns and stability of the tooth’s structure. Once a tooth is lost, 30% of the supporting bone is also typically lost. This requires additional considerations to achieve an ideal esthetic result.
Dental Treatments for Chipped Teeth
How we treat a broken or chipped tooth depends on how severely it is damaged. If a small piece has broken off, the chipped tooth repair can usually be completed in one office visit. A badly damaged or severely broken tooth may require longer treatment or a more costly procedure. Dr. Sowell’s solutions for chipped teeth or a cracked tooth include:
- Dental filling – Color-matched filling material blends perfectly with the chipped tooth.
- Tooth bonding – Dental bonding provides an added layer of protection to the repaired tooth and offers a more esthetic result.
- Porcelain dental crowns – Permanent crowns are made of bonded ceramic materials and are for a severely damaged tooth. The crown is like a thin veneer that goes all the way around the tooth. We do not use metal in our crowns.
- Porcelain dental veneers – These thin outer shells can straighten and beautify your front teeth and smile.
- Root canal – If the root has been exposed or infected by the cracked tooth, a root canal may be necessary to repair and save the tooth.
Schedule a Consultation
At Sowell Sensational Smiles, you’ll discover many solutions for a chipped or cracked tooth. Just like thousands of your friends and neighbors throughout Plano, Dallas, Frisco and Southlake County. Call now for a complimentary consultation at or request an appointment online.