Bad breath (halitosis) is a common dental concern amongst patients of all ages. In some cases, bad breath is the result of strong smelling food. In other cases, bad breath may be an indication of a serious oral health concern.
Plano dentist Dr. Mark Sowell understands each patients needs and works with them to find conservative, effective solutions for their dental concerns. Dr. Sowell will perform a full comprehensive exam to determine the cause of halitosis.
In many cases, a change in lifestyle habits or additional oral hygiene is sufficient to address chronic bad breath. Here are a few quick tips on how best to keep your breath fresh:
- Brush your teeth twice a day: Brushing the teeth helps remove bacteria and debris that may cause bad breath. Brushing also helps minimize the risk of developing cavities and tooth decay.
- Floss daily: Floss your teeth to remove debris from between the teeth.
- Mouthwash: Rinse with an antibacterial mouthwash to keep the breath fresh.
- Quit smoking and tobacco use.
- Consider your diet.
- Stay hydrated. Drinking water and promote saliva production and prevent dry mouth.
- Chew sugar-free gum
Causes Of Bad Breath
Bad breath can be an indication of an underlying oral health concern. Your form of treatment will depend on the cause of halitosis. Dr. Sowell will work with you create a customized treatment plan to address your needs.
- Gum disease
- Dry mouth
- Acid reflux
- Tooth decay or cavities
If you would like to seek treatment for halitosis, please be sure to visit Sensational Smiles in Plano, TX. Dr. Sowell offers a full range cosmetic, general, restorative, dental implants services to improve patient smiles. If you would like to explore your treatment options, contact our Plano dental office. Patients can call (972) 382-6855 to schedule an appointment or schedule an appointment online.