Plano, TX Dentist: Mark Sowell, DDS, MAGD, AACD
Dr. Mark Sowell, DDS, MAGD, AACD is 1 of 40 dentists worldwide to have achieved mastership status from The Academy of General Dentistry and Accredited Membership with The American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry. This professional distinction requires thousands of hours of continuing education. Dr. Sowell has proven his dedication to providing the most comprehensive modern dental care while continuously advancing his knowledge and skill.
World Class Credentials: Dual Mastership
For over 25 years, Dr. Mark Sowell has served our community and our country by providing state-of-the-art dental care. He is a nationally recognized expert in the fields of cosmetic dentistry, implant dentistry and restorative dentistry. Because of his relentless commitment to excellence in all aspects of dental care, Dr. Sowell is often asked to lecture to other dentists and attends over 100 hours of rigorous postdoctoral training each year.
Dr. Sowell is a member of an elite group of dentists who have achieved both Master status with the Academy of General Dentistry (AGD) and Accredited Membership with the prestigious American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry (AACD). Fewer than 40 dentists nationwide have earned both of these professional distinctions. While these recognitions illustrate Dr. Sowell’s dedication to providing the best that dentistry has to offer, he has achieved numerous other merits in the field of dentistry. Additional accomplishments include:
- D Magazine Top Cosmetic Dentist in Dallas
- Listed by Woodward / White Publishing as a Best Dentist In America
- WFAA Dental Contributor / Expert
- Texas Monthly – Super Dentist in Dallas for Cosmetic Dentistry
Memberships & Affiliates
- Fellow of the International Academy of Dental Facial Esthetics
- Fellow of the International Congress of Oral Implantologists
- Academy of Comprehensive Esthetics
- American Dental Association
- Texas Dental Association
- Accredited member of the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry
- Master of the Academy of General Dentistry
- Irwin Army Hospital – General Practice Residency
- University of Texas, Houston Dental Branch – two-year program focusing on “Master” requirements for Academy of General Dentistry
- University of Texas, San Antonio Dental School – Preceptorship in Oral Implantology
- Baylor Dental School – Advanced Restorative Esthetics I, II & III
- University of Texas Dental School at San Antonio – Doctor of Dental Surgery – Ranked #1 dental school by US News & World Report
- University of Texas at Austin – Bachelor of Arts – Honors, Cum Laude
- Seattle Institute for Advanced Dental Education with Frank Spear
- L.D. Pankey Institute
- Peter Dawson Center for Occlusional Studies
- Pride Institute
- Karl Misch Institute
Teaching Dentistry to other Dental Professionals
Visiting faculty Spear Education, Scottsdale Center for Dentistry
In 1985, Dr. Sowell opened his practice minutes away from Dallas, TX. Prior to that, Dr. Sowell served in the U.S Army as Assistant Clinic Chief of Dental Services and held a general practice residency at Irwin Army Hospital. He was awarded the Expert Field Medical Badge and received the Army Achievement and Accommodation awards. Dr. Sowell completed his Doctorate of Dental Science Education at University of Texas, San Antonio and his Bachelor of Arts at University of Texas, Austin, graduating Cum Laude with Honors.
Dr. Sowell is a visiting faculty member of Spear Education, where he travels to Scottsdale four to five times a year to teach other experienced dentists advanced reconstruction procedures and cosmetic dentistry.
Away from his Plano dental practice, AACD dentist Dr. Sowell enjoys spending time with his family. He is a Texas native with a passion for photography and researching new technologies.
*Cosmetic Dentistry and Implantology are not yet recognized as specialty areas by the American Dental Association or the State Board of Dental Examiners.