Having crooked teeth can be embarrassing. Many adult patients feel like they can not seek out treatment and spend years smiling with their lips closed, or covering their mouths. Crooked teeth are also more than a cosmetic concern. Misaligned teeth can cause excessive wear and damage to your teeth, can make it difficult to practice proper oral hygiene and can cause TMJ related pain.
If your teeth are misaligned, and you are looking for a clear way to improve your smile, Dallas area dentist Dr. Mark Sowell may recommend Invisalign®/ClearCorrect™ aligners or Six Month Smiles®. There are often two types of patients considering orthodontics: those who simply have misaligned teeth, with no other cosmetic concerns and those who have problems with the alignment, shape and/or color of their teeth.
If you suffer from the embarrassment of having crooked teeth, Dr. Sowell offers clear braces options. Ideal for teens and adults with mild to moderate orthodontic concerns, Invisalign/ClearCorrect aligners, fixed clear braces or Six Month Smiles produce effective results. Now you can discreetly straighten your teeth at any age without the embarrassment or discomfort of metal braces.
Options For A Straighter Smile Plano, TX
- Instant Orthodontics– For instantly straighter teeth, Dr. Sowell often utilizes dental bonding or porcelain veneers. Both can also correct discolored teeth and gapped teeth. Instead of waiting months or years, instant orthodontics can give you straighter teeth in about two weeks.
- Invisalign® and ClearCorrect™– Clear braces is a popular choice among adults who want a straighter smile but do not want to deal with the hassle of wearing metal braces. These clear aligner systems will use a series of aligners that will gradually move teeth into proper alignment.
- Six Month Smiles®– This is a short term orthodontic treatment that utilizes brackets and wires that are tooth-colored. This makes them hardly noticeable. These are a great option for patients who just need to straighten teeth in the cosmetic zone, making the treatment time much faster.
Orthodontic systems like Invisalign/ClearCorrect and Six Month Smiles are fast, effective and discreet. These systems straighten just the front teeth in a patient’s smile. These teeth may be straightened very quickly, reducing the needed time, to fit the adult lifestyle.
Straightening Teeth Without Braces
Patients of any age can straighten their teeth. If clear braces are not an option, Dr. Sowell may recommend a cosmetic procedure to straighten the appearance of your smile. If the shape of your teeth are undesirable because of wear, bonded ceramics like dental crowns or porcelain veneers may be the best solution.
- Dental Crowns– A dental crown covers the entire tooth and is permanently bonded into place. The crown provides strength, aesthetics and lasting durable function. Dental crowns are stain and decay resistant and can last for many years. Dental crowns can be color matched to blend seamlessly with your smile for beautiful results.
- Porcelain Veneers– Porcelain veneers are very thin shells that are secured to the front of a tooth to disguise teeth imperfections and improve the appearance. Using impressions, they are customized for a precise fit to each tooth. They are considered a permanent dental restoration since a small amount of the tooth surface needs to be removed.
Is Invisalign painful?
The process is not a painless one. While the aligners gradually move your teeth into position, you will experience discomfort until you get used to the process.
Do I need braces if I have only one crooked tooth?
No. You can benefit the most from porcelain veneers. Veneers can hide a single crooked tooth by reshaping it. This option would be much more affordable for this issue than getting aligners.
Which is better traditional braces or Invisalign?
This will depend on how severe your situation is, and how crooked your teeth are. Invisalign is reserved for those with mild to moderate issues, while traditional braces can fix all misalignment issues. Our dentist will make the best recommendation for you after a dental exam.
Do clear aligners give you a lisp?
If you receive ill-fitting alignment trays, then yes they can cause a lisp. Normally, you will NOT have a lisp while wearing clear aligners. They should fit snuggly, without movement.
Does wearing Invisalign and ClearCorrect trays turn your teeth yellow?
No. Your teeth-brushing habits will have to be severely neglected while wearing clear aligners for your teeth to start turning yellow in a short period of time. Make sure you are taking off your aligners before eating, and brush your teeth after every meal before you put your aligners back on.