You know the feeling: You’re crunching a piece of hard candy when you suddenly notice something much harder in your mouth and realize it’s a chunk of broken tooth.
The enamel that covers your teeth is the hardest, most mineralized tissue in the body, but it does have limits. If you have a broken tooth or chipped a tooth, don’t panic. There are many things that dentist Dr. Mark Sowell, a Plano area dentist, can do to repair it – if you see him right away. Otherwise, your tooth could be damaged further.
Solutions for Chipped Teeth
We offer a wide variety of solutions to repair a chipped tooth, ranging from one chipped or missing tooth to all the teeth. Each situation is unique depending on esthetic demands and the amount of supporting structures lost. Once a tooth is lost, 30% of the supporting bone is also typically lost. This requires additional considerations to achieve an ideal esthetic result.
How we treat a broken or chipped tooth depends on how severely it is damaged. If a small piece has broken off, the chipped tooth repair can usually be completed with one office visit. A badly damaged or severely broken tooth may require longer treatment or a more costly procedure. Dr. Sowell’s solutions for chipped teeth or a cracked tooth include:
- Dental filling – Color-matched filling material blends perfectly with the chipped tooth.
- Tooth bonding – Dental bonding provides an added layer of protection to the repaired tooth and offers a more esthetic result.
- Porcelain dental crowns – Permanent crowns are made of bonded ceramic materials and are for a severely damamged tooth. The crown is like a thin veneer that goes all the way around the tooth. We do not use metal in our crowns.
- Porcelain dental veneers – These thin outer shells can straighten and beautify your front teeth and smile.
- Root canal – If the root has been exposed or infected by the cracked tooth, a root canal may be necessary to repair and save the tooth.
Schedule a Consultation
At Sowell Sensational Smiles, you’ll discover many solutions for a chipped or cracked tooth. Just like thousands of your friends and neighbors throughout Plano, Dallas, Frisco and Southlake County. Call now for a complimentary consultation at (972) 382-6855 or request an appointment online.