Is your gum line extremely visible when you smile? A gummy smile, also known as excessive gingival display, can be a source of embarrassment for those that have one. But, thanks to advancements in modern dentistry, there are now a wide array of treatment options available to fix a gummy smile. Dr. Mark Sowell at Sensational Smiles in Plano, TX provides gummy smile treatments to his patients to help them achieve their cosmetic dentistry goals.
What Causes A Gummy Smile?
There are several reasons why you may have a gummy smile:
- Incorrect jaw bone alignment: The jaw bone may extend further than it should, causing the gums to look longer.
- Upper lip muscles: Sometimes overactive upper lip muscles can pull your lip up too high when smiling, showing more of your gums underneath.
- Abnormal tooth development: Teeth may not extend far enough past the gum line although they are actually a normal length.
How to Treat A Gummy Smile
Since there are many reasons why someone may have a gummy smile, there are different treatments available to resolve a gummy smile:
- Crown Lengthening: This treatment requires the removal of gum tissue and bone to allow the gums to retract to the appropriate position and reveal more of the tooth structure. This treatment may be performed when the teeth are not fully erupted.
- Laser Gum Contouring: This procedure effectively removes excess gum tissues through the use of dental lasers. Patients can achieve their ideal smile with minimal bleeding, faster healing, and natural looking results.
- Gum Lift: A gum lift, clinically called a gingivectomy, is a common cosmetic procedure used to reduce excess gum tissue. In this procedure, we use advanced dental lasers to gently remove excess gum tissue and reshape the gum line to create an aesthetically pleasing smile.
Treatment for A Gummy Smile at Sensational Smiles
Typically only periodontists perform gum lifts, but Plano area dentist Dr. Mark Sowell has been successfully performing these procedures on his patients for over 20 years. Offering treatment for gummy smile with the gum lift procedure allows Dr. Sowell to seamlessly integrate his vision of the final result into the smile design.
Treatment for a gummy smile used to involve cutting the excess gum tissue away by using a scalpel and stitches. These days, Dr. Sowell is usually able to accomplish all this without sutures by using laser dentistry. Sensational Smiles uses the WaterLase laser, with which Dr. Sowell has over eight years of experience for all reshaping procedures. The result is patients go back to work the next day without any significant visual effects of the procedure except a more symmetrical, more attractive gum line. And best of all, this change is permanent.
Plano, TX Cosmetic Dentistry
The right treatment depends on an accurate diagnosis based on an individual evaluation of your smile. Schedule your complimentary consultation with Dr. Sowell online or call our office at (972) 382-6855 to start restoring balance to your smile.